Innovative solution for sound control
Dramatically reduce the sound you hear between rooms
Perfect for new construction projects, SoundBreak XP Wall Board reduces sound transmission coming into or out of a room. Also moisture-, mold- and mildew-resistant, it combines exceptional performance with smart solutions that go beyond standard drywall. SoundBreak XP Wall Board is ideal for bedrooms, nurseries, home offices, media rooms and anywhere else it’s important to keep noise contained.
Use together with PURPLE SoundBreak XP Ceiling® Board for a complete solution that also stops structural noise from traveling between floors.
- Superior sound damping, cost-efficient material that finishes easily and decorates in the same manner as standard gypsum board.
Inhibits Mold Growth
- Helps inhibit mold growth with the highest possible score on mold tests.
- Features SPORGARD® technology with extra mold-inhibiting properties.
Installs Fast And Easy
- Features the GridMarX® guide marks on the board to allow for faster and more accurate installation.
- For speed of installation and lower installation costs, vertical board joints do not require acoustical sealant.
- Installs like traditional gypsum board.
Provides Fire Resistance
- UL Classified for fire resistance and surface burning characteristics.
Resists Moisture Better
- Fights the effects of moisture before damage can occur.
- Helps to reinforce the structure’s integrity and strength.
- Reduces dimensional movement caused by moisture.
- PURPLE SoundBreak XP Wall® Board has achieved UL GREENGUARD Gold Certification.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do SoundBreak® XP® Drywall products reduce sound travel between rooms?
While there’s no such thing as completely soundproof drywall, by installing SoundBreak XP Wall® Board or adding SoundBreak XP Retrofit® Board to existing drywall you can drastically reduce the amount of noise you hear between rooms from music, television, conversation, a baby crying or dogs barking.
At the center of SoundBreak XP® drywall products is a layer of material specifically designed to absorb and dissipate noise. That material, called a polymer, is sandwiched between two pieces of high-density, mold-resistant drywall and covered by heavy, moisture-, mold- and mildew-resistant, 100 percent recycled purple paper on both sides.
Isn’t all drywall the same?
No. While all drywall is naturally fire-resistant, PURPLE drywall is unique because it also resists moisture, mold and mildew. Some PURPLE drywall products also stand up to scratches, scuffs, dents and sound. This means added value and peace of mind regardless of steamy showers, roughhousing kids or band practice. All PURPLE products have achieved GREENGUARD Gold Certification for indoor air quality and are as easy to install and finish as standard drywall.
What’s the difference between PURPLE drywall and traditional green drywall?
Traditional green drywall (also known as greenboard) is only moisture-resistant. PURPLE drywall, manufactured only by Gold Bond Building Products, is superior because it offers moisture, mold and mildew resistance. In addition, many PURPLE drywall products offer added benefits, including resistance to scratches, scuffs, dents and noise.
What makes PURPLE drywall resistant to moisture, mold and mildew?
PURPLE drywall is made of a specially treated, moisture- and fire-resistant gypsum core. That core is sandwiched between heavy, moisture-, mold- and mildew-resistant, 100 percent recycled paper that’s purple on the front and gray on the back.
What makes PURPLE drywall naturally fire-resistant?
Gypsum itself is naturally fire-resistant. Gypsum drywall is made by sandwiching a core of wet plaster between two sheets of paper. When the core sets and dries, the gypsum board becomes a strong, rigid, fire-resistant building material. It’s resistant to fire because in its natural state, gypsum contains water; and when exposed to heat or flame, this water is released as steam, which delays heat transfer.
How do I know how much drywall I need?