PURPLE XP® Hi-Abuse® Drywall
Moisture-, mold- and mildew-resistant, PURPLE XP® Hi-Abuse® Drywall delivers enhanced protection against scratches and scuffs in high-traffic areas.
Protect against abuse and abrasion
Specially formulated core adds an extra level of durability
PURPLE XP Hi-Abuse Drywall is the choice for use in rooms where surface abrasion is a concern. Designed to last for decades, it’s ideal for hallways and stairwells. It helps keep walls safe from carelessly rearranged furniture, bouncing balls and all of life’s ups and downs.
- Provides more protection against surface abrasion – stands up to scrapes, scratches, and scuffs.
- Has a specially formulated core that adds an extra level of durability.
- Helps to prevent damage that adds maintenance costs and reduces safety.
Inhibits Mold Growth
- Helps inhibit mold growth with the highest possible score on mold tests.
- Features Sporgard® technology with extra mold-inhibiting properties.
- Has less than 5% water absorption.
Installs Fast And Easy
- Features GridMarX® installation guide marks on the board to allow for faster and more accurate installation.
- Reinforces joint treatment as well as standard gypsum board, reducing costs and the risk of improper installation.
- Scores and snaps easily.
Provides Fire Resistance
- UL Classified for fire resistance and surface burning characteristics.
Resists Moisture Better
- Fights the effects of moisture before damage can occur.
- Helps to reinforce the structure’s integrity and strength.
- Reduces dimensional movement caused by moisture.
- PURPLE XP® Hi-Abuse® Drywall has achieved GREENGUARD Gold Certification.
Frequently Asked Questions
What makes XP® Hi-Abuse® Drywall resistant to scratches and scuffs?
XP® Hi-Abuse® Drywall features a heavy, abrasion-resistant face paper and a specially formulated core to provide greater resistance to surface abuse, such as scuffs from shoes and backpacks in the mudroom or scrapes from carrying heavy luggage up and down a stairwell.
Isn’t all drywall the same?
No. While all drywall is naturally fire-resistant, PURPLE drywall is unique because it also resists moisture, mold and mildew. Some PURPLE drywall products also stand up to scratches, scuffs, dents and sound. This means added value and peace of mind regardless of steamy showers, roughhousing kids or band practice. All PURPLE products have achieved GREENGUARD Gold Certification for indoor air quality and are as easy to install and finish as standard drywall.
What’s the difference between PURPLE drywall and traditional green drywall?
Traditional green drywall (also known as greenboard) is only moisture-resistant. PURPLE drywall, manufactured only by Gold Bond Building Products, is superior because it offers moisture, mold and mildew resistance. In addition, many PURPLE drywall products offer added benefits, including resistance to scratches, scuffs, dents and noise.
What makes PURPLE drywall resistant to moisture, mold and mildew?
PURPLE drywall is made of a specially treated, moisture- and fire-resistant gypsum core. That core is sandwiched between heavy, moisture-, mold- and mildew-resistant, 100 percent recycled paper that’s purple on the front and gray on the back.
What makes PURPLE drywall naturally fire-resistant?
Gypsum itself is naturally fire-resistant. Gypsum drywall is made by sandwiching a core of wet plaster between two sheets of paper. When the core sets and dries, the gypsum board becomes a strong, rigid, fire-resistant building material. It’s resistant to fire because in its natural state, gypsum contains water; and when exposed to heat or flame, this water is released as steam, which delays heat transfer.
How do I know how much drywall I need?
Use our Materials Calculator to determine how much drywall you’ll need for your next project. All you need to know are your room’s dimensions. The calculator will do the rest. You can also get in-person help at your local home improvement store or ask your contractor. Watch our drywall installation how-to video:
Measuring & Estimating.