PURPLE XP® Drywall
Our most versatile drywall product, PURPLE XP® Drywall is moisture-, mold- and mildew-resistant and ideal for almost every room in the home.
Extra protection against mold and mildew
Fights the effects of moisture before damage can occur
PURPLE XP Drywall offers the advantages of traditional moisture-resistant drywall with added mold and mildew resistance. It has achieved the highest possible scores on the most stringent quality tests in the industry and is designed to deliver long-lasting protection and performance you can count on for decades.
Works For Interior Projects
- All wall and ceiling applications.
- As tile backerboard in dry areas.
- In areas with limited water exposure, such as toilet/sink areas and above tile in tubs and showers.
Inhibits Mold Growth
- Helps inhibit mold growth with the highest possible score on mold tests.
- Features Sporgard® technology with extra mold-inhibiting properties.
- Has less than 5% water absorption.
Installs Fast And Easy
- Features GridMarX® guide marks on the board to allow for faster and more accurate installation.
- Scores and snaps easily, with no special handling requirements.
- Ends are square cut and finished smooth. Edges are tapered, allowing joints to be reinforced.
Provides Fire Resistance
- UL Classified for fire resistance and surface burning characteristics.
Resists Moisture Better
- Fights the effects of moisture before damage can occur.
- Helps to reinforce the structure’s integrity and strength.
- Reduces dimensional movement caused by moisture.
- PURPLE XP® Drywall has achieved GREENGUARD Gold Certification.
Frequently Asked Questions
Isn’t all drywall the same?
No. While all drywall is naturally fire-resistant, PURPLE drywall is unique because it also resists moisture, mold and mildew. Some PURPLE drywall products also stand up to scratches, scuffs, dents and sound. This means added value and peace of mind regardless of steamy showers, roughhousing kids or band practice. All PURPLE products have achieved GREENGUARD Gold Certification for indoor air quality and are as easy to install and finish as standard drywall.
What’s the difference between PURPLE drywall and traditional green drywall?
Traditional green drywall (also known as greenboard) is only moisture-resistant. PURPLE drywall, manufactured only by Gold Bond Building Products, is superior because it offers moisture, mold and mildew resistance. In addition, many PURPLE drywall products offer added benefits, including resistance to scratches, scuffs, dents and noise.
What makes PURPLE drywall resistant to moisture, mold and mildew?
PURPLE drywall is made of a specially treated, moisture- and fire-resistant gypsum core. That core is sandwiched between heavy, moisture-, mold- and mildew-resistant, 100 percent recycled paper that’s purple on the front and gray on the back.
What makes PURPLE drywall naturally fire-resistant?
Gypsum itself is naturally fire-resistant. Gypsum drywall is made by sandwiching a core of wet plaster between two sheets of paper. When the core sets and dries, the gypsum board becomes a strong, rigid, fire-resistant building material. It’s resistant to fire because in its natural state, gypsum contains water; and when exposed to heat or flame, this water is released as steam, which delays heat transfer.
How do I know how much drywall I need?
Use our Materials Calculator to determine how much drywall you’ll need for your next project. All you need to know are your room’s dimensions. The calculator will do the rest. You can also get in-person help at your local home improvement store or ask your contractor. Watch our drywall installation how-to video:
Measuring & Estimating.